Friday, January 21, 2011

Day 5.

My thoughts today have to do with dealing with lazy and/or unmotivated children (coughmybrothercoughcough). I like to call them the ones whose major/goal in life is to be a couch potato. He does not want to listen to you because he hates doing things that make him work. If it is not play, then he refuses to do it. I have learned through experience that this type of child continues to behave worse and worse UNLESS the child's way of thinking changes, or if someone of authority steps in. No, not just someone with authority, but someone whose authority is acknowledged by the child. Now if the parents are too easy on the child, much is not expected of him and therefore he will continue in his path of laziness. He will continue to believe that he cannot do anything work related because A. it has little to no reward, or B. it is too difficult for him.
Now here is the sad part, I only know all this and its effects so well because I used to be a lazy, unmotivated child. Although my laziness tended more towards reading instead of video games, it still was not right to ignore my responsibilities. So my question is do you let someone close to you continue to waste his time playing around, or do you keep on pressing the matter until he changes, even if it makes him hate you the whole way through?

No comments:

Post a Comment